(CET 1989 CS; MBA - IIM Ahmedabad)
(Former Partner, McKinsey & Company)
Sankar Krishnan was a former partner at the world’s leading management consultancy firm, McKinsey & Company. He led McKinsey’s healthcare practice, in India and then in Greater China. Sankar left McKinsey in July 2006 to pursue his passion and set up as an independent consultant in the not-for-profit/ development sector in India.
- In McKinsey, Sankar focused on leadership development, particularly in healthcare, serving a variety of clients across Asia, Europe and North America.
- Sankar’s primary areas of expertise include organisational change management and leadership development, and sales and marketing.
- In addition to serving clients, Sankar was the Global Dean of the key leadership development program for consultants at McKinsey, and the head of the recruiting team for McKinsey’s India office from 1998 to 2004.
- Since leaving McKinsey, Sankar has focused on developing sustainable solutions to developmental challenges in healthcare and education.
- In the development sector, he has recently worked with a multinational foundation, a university in the US, local non-profits and with the local state government.
- He continues to help global clients develop top team effectiveness and serves on the advisory boards of five fast growing companies in the healthcare and technology sectors.
- Sankar was selected by Business Today magazine in 2001 as one of the Top 25 leading young achievers in India.
- Sankar’s move to pursue his passion in the development sector was a lead feature in The Hindu (August 2011).
- He was one of the 5 ‘Diehard romantics’ covered in India Today magazine’s lead story for his work in the non-profit sector (July 2012).
- Prior to joining McKinsey, Sankar worked as a systems designer for Tata Consultancy Services.
- A Mensa member and a National Talent scholar, he has a B.Tech degree in Computer Science and Engineering from the College of Engineering, Trivandrum, finishing college first, and University third rank across all branches.
- Sankar holds an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, graduating in the top 5 of his class.
Current Areas of Interest
Sankar is currently CEO of Tesseract Consulting,an independent consultancy in the not-for-profit/ development sector in India.
He focuses on providing strategic advice, building leadership and organizational capabilities, and achieving growth and impact in developmental organizations, NGO's and social enterprises, especially in healthcare and education.
He has recently worked with a multinational foundation in India to assess the impact of their programs for AIDS prevention and develop an organizational model for the future.
He is currently a strategic advisor to a well-respected Indian non-profit institution for the hearing-impaired to develop its growth path and enhance effectiveness of delivery. He is helping an environmental NGO to develop a sustainable operating model in organic foods. He was invited by an acclaimed private University in the US to guide students to effectively support developmental initiatives in India.
Recently, he was a member of the Healthcare Working Group to develop the 12th Five Year Plan for the local state government.
He continues to help global clients develop top team effectiveness and serves on the advisory boards of five fast growing companies in the healthcare and technology sectors.